Sunday, March 25, 2012

Culinary Channel - Dumplings


Steamed green vegetable dumplings

     Dumpling is a typical symbol of Chinese food, in ancient China, dumplings was called " yuan boa" was used as currency because its shape is symbolic of the way money is viewed in the Chinese culture. Some of Chinese families have dumplings on their New Year 's Eve or New Year Day !
     It may not surprise to you  that making dumplings was one of my social activities when I was in school or party.  I don’t remember how many different kinds of dumplings I have been eaten.  Since everyone has made different dumplings with different ingredients and family cultures. I do enjoy making dumplings, it's such an artistic creation and practice patience from kitchen. It's fun for me !!

Pork with vegetable dumplings
     The most common traditional one is filling ground pork and vegetable, but now people love to fill with different ingredients such as shrimp, chicken or beef.  My own recipes are more unusual ingredients, particularly, after having steamed green vegetable dumplings at one of famous dumpling restaurants(DinTaiFung) at Taipei, I've started making steamed green vegetable and tried filling with different kind of vegetables at each time. Besides, I also like to make turkey dumplings with vegetable, that tastes a little different from pork.
Turkey with vegetable dumplings

 The dumplings are frequently boiled or steamed. Some people make dough by themselves, but I like to buy the wrappers from Ranch 99, the one made from Hong Kong, their wrappers taste a little smooth and soft. I really like it !! However, like most of foods, dumpling are best when made fresh. Many of the fillings and dough can be made in advance and refrigerated for last minute assembly. You can serve the dumplings with a dipping sauce of equal amounts of soy sauce, sesame oil and dark vinegar, to which you can add a little chopped red chilli or garlic or ginger if you like a bit of spice.

                                                                                I love dumplings !!

                          

No comments:

Post a Comment